Sunday, December 9, 2012

How not to PR

I ran the Weston Rotary Half Marathon this morning. This was definitely not a race I was training for, but it fit into my training schedule so I decided to go ahead and do it. I had no intention of a new half marathon PR....but in the back of my head I was hoping for one. Based on the weekends events I am lucky I even finished.
  • We went out for dinner and drinks in Friday and I had way too many beers and a Jameson shot (good idea Nikki)
  • I woke up Saturday feeling OK, but failed to drink any water all day. Not even one sip.
  • Chocolate chip pumpkin pancakes for breakfast
  • Chipolte for Lunch
  • Pizza for dinner and two glasses of red wine
  • I was supposed to leave my house at 5am this morning, but got confused and set my alarm for 5am...so I was running very late
  • My Garmin didn't charge for some reason, so I started the race with 11% battery remaining, it died at about mile 3
  • I got lost on the way to the race. I don't even know how that happened considering I live about 15 minutes from Weston Town Center which is where the race started
  • I didn't have my regular pre-race meal which is a PB&J, I ate two leftover pancakes and drank a coke zero
  • My plan was to get there early enough to stretch and eat a banana before the race started, but since I was running so late I had to dash straight to the start line
The race went surprisingly well, I felt good the entire time...which is shocking considering my preparation for this race. Since I didn't have my watch I had to rely on the race clocks. Around mile 11 I new I was on track to finish with a decent time and a new PR was possible. I booked it the last two miles (Another reason I wish I had my Garmin, I am dying to know how fast I was going) and sprinted across the finish line. The clock at the finish line was broken! Are you kidding me!

The official times were just posted, no PR but pretty darn close. I finished in 2:01:55, which is about 1 minute slower then my half marathon PR. I was 6th in my age group. The winner in my age group finished in 1:53:51. It was obviously a small race because that is not a very fast time.

Now it is time to lay on the couch and watch football all day... although it is going to take me awhile to get over the fact that I missed my PR by a minute.

0 comments:

Post a Comment