Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Homemade Pace Band

I was thinking of getting a pace band for my next marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon on October 28th. I figured since I have never used one it might be a good idea to try it out before making the expensive purchase. You can get them at  http://races2remember.com/Home.php ... 3 for $7.50.  They are customizable according to your race and time goal.

I am a pretty crafty individual so this is what I came up with. (Can you tell I have too much time on my hands?)


Pretty nice right?  Its just paper wrapped in a couple of layers packing tape, we will see how well it holds up with sweat dripping on it.

I plan on using it for my Wednesday night run (if it is not raining outside, using it on a treadmill defeats the purpose). I need to focus on maintaining a specific pace per mile if I want to reach my time goals. My Garmin has definitely helped manage my pace the last few months. I was never sure about the accuracy of the other things I was using, the Nike + plus race band seemed to be pretty good, but its functionality was limited. When it broke, I started using the Map My Run app on my phone, which I think is very inaccurate.

Mile 1- 9:11
Mile 2- 8:41
Mile 3- 8:11
Mile 4- 8:06
Mile 5- 8:01

In my non running life I have to write EVERYTHING down, especially numbers. So hopefully having the time goals right in front of me will help. These times are really fast for me, I mean really fast. My pace at the Lou Gehrig’s Disease 10K in May was 8:45 and that pace pretty much kicked my butt. Let’s see if all of the speed training I have been doing since then has worked!

0 comments:

Post a Comment