Tuesday, January 29, 2013

ING Miami Marathon Race Recap


I had a Miami filled weekend, starting off with the Heat game on Friday night. I got to see Ray Allen up close and personal and witness the amazing 75K half court shot. It was one of the craziest things I have ever seen. 


Then on Saturday morning, Nikki, Boston and I took another trip down to Miami to pick up my race packet. We enjoyed Starbucks while observing all of the cazies that live in Miami. We stopped in a cheesy Miami tourist shop and picked up some pretty "Dope" sunglasses for me to wear at the race. Ryan had a bachelor party on Saturday night so I was able to relax and get to bed really early. Ryan rolled in around 3am, and I had to get up around 3:45am to get ready to go. Ugh.

Everything went smoothly getting to the race and pretty much through the first 10 miles. I felt good. I knew my pace was off, mostly because it was so crowded. Around the 13 mile point the half marathoners broke off the course which was nice, I had to do a lot less weaving around people once the course split. At the split I thought I would finish in about 4 hours and 15 minutes. Not a new PR, but I was OK with that. 

It was pretty much all down hill from there, and no I am not referring to the course. There were still 2 bridges on the 2nd half of the course. I felt like I couldn't stay hydrated. All I could think about was...where the next water station would be. 
I passed my fans at about mile 17. It was such a treat to see them and take a break for a few minutes. They even made signs! With the shadows you can't really read them, but the pink one refers to mimosas and was apparently quite popular with the other runners and spectators.


Mile 17 through the finish were really hard. I took a good amount of walking breaks and walked through every water station. I still can't believe that I let myself walk. It just was not my day. I ended up finishing in 4:40:27, which was pretty shocking. Although I should not be too disappointed, I met my goal of running 4 marathons in 4 months. Now....it is time for a little break! A much needed break!

I will post more pictures later....my "DOPE" sunglasses were by far the highlight of the race.





0 comments:

Post a Comment